Health in media can be quite deceiving—everybody claims to be an expert, yet each person has a different opinion. Especially when it comes to weight loss, the world wide web on information can seem daunting to someone just starting out. Due to this, I want to point something out that may seem obvious to some, but can really make or break someone's weight loss journey: calories taken in (through food and drink) must be less than calories burned (through exercise and just living) in order to lose weight. This is where the problem of overeating comes in.

avocado
Suyi Li

So, when those fitness gurus on Instagram tell you about the "best foods to eat for weight loss", know that in moderation, any food can be fine to eat when trying to lose weight.

For example, one whole avocado has around 320 calories. However, a Snickers Bar only has 215 calories. Even though the avocado is better for you, the calories can add up fast. So, go for the healthier choice whenever possible, but eat a smaller portion of it. When trying to lose weight, portion size is everything.

nut, almond, walnut, apricot pits, hazelnut
Torey Walsh

Another example of a high calorie "healthy" food is any type of nut. They are seen as a healthy, protein-packed snack to eat when trying to lose weight. However, nuts are extremely calorie dense, meaning that only a small amount of them will contain a hefty amount of calories. For instance, only four walnuts will bring tack on 100 calories to your snack. 

Most people can eat way over triple that amount in one sitting without realizing how many calories they have consumed. For about the same amount of calories as eight walnuts, you could eat a milk chocolate Hershey's Bar. Again, always choose the more nutritious option, but watch out for overeating. 

#SpoonTip: Portion your nuts into small bags before you eat them in order to prevent going way over the serving size.

cake, ice, chocolate, goody, cream, sweet, candy, sprinkles
Avid Khorramian

So, what I am trying to say is that food labeled as "healthy" doesn't mean that you could eat as much as you want of it and still lose weight. You can eat almost anything you want on a diet, and still lose weight as long as you have a calories deficit (more calories out than in). So, whether you are in the mood for a healthy well-balanced meal or ice cream, eat what you want. Just go easy with your food intake, and you'll be on your way to a body that makes you happy.