Finals are ending and everyone's favorite season is no longer a distant dream, but rather a glorious reality. What’s a fun, easy, and cheap way to celebrate summer as a broke college student, you may ask? Well friends, the answer is simple: CAMPING. The best way to celebrate and savor the great season that is summer is to bring it back to the great outdoors.

Although we all probably wish we could be like Bear Grylls roughing it out in the wild, here's a list of 10 things you need so that your camping trip doesn't become the next episode of Man versus Wild, or even worse, Naked and Afraid. Once you've read this list, you'll hopefully feel more confident in figuring out what to pack for camping trips in the future.

Disclaimer: This list assumes that you have already packed the absolute basics (i.e. tent, tent fly, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, bug spray, trash bag, and of course, clothes). 

1. Campfire Supplies

barbecue, fish
Hannah Giardina

Think firewood, waterproof matches or lighter, and dry newspaper. It keeps you warm at night and honestly, campfires just add to the summer and camping ambiance. Cook some meals, toast your feet, and let the crackling sounds of the fire take you away to a state of bliss.

2. Headlamp, flashlight, or lantern

cake, bacon, beer
Cat Driscoll

Let there be light! But actually, headlamps and flashlights are essential for every camping trip. They're wicked helpful when you need to set up your tent, go to the bathroom, or grab something from the car at night. Trust me, as a person who has been ~reformed~ by the headlamp, the flashlight on your phone just doesn't make the cut. 

#SpoonTip: Hanging out with your friends inside the tent? Hang your headlamp from the top of the tent so it's #lit. 

3. Polaroid, disposable, or actual camera

Imagine: You and your friends go explore the great outdoors and you see a figure in the distance. It's tall, it's brown, and it's hairy. Could it really be... but I swear it doesn't exist!? Well, without the photographic proof, we'll never know if you actually saw Bigfoot on that fateful day. Don't let this be you, folks, bring your camera.

4. S’mores Supplies

sandwich, peanut, marshmallow, butter, peanut butter
Megan Prendergast

“Gimme gimme more gimme more gimme gimme s’mores – Brittany Spears” – probably someone. Sorry, lame joke, or hilarious? Asking for a friend. Anyways, this classic dessert is composed of the power trifecta of hot, gooey marshmallow, yummy melted chocolate, and crunchy graham cracker. Want something a little bit different? You can always upgrade your s’mores or make a different campfire treat!

5. Music

tea, coffee, beer
Timothy Kutchner

Music is an imperative part of the camping experience. Pack a guitar so that you can sing along to some campfire tunes when you just want to ~unplug~ and hear some #natural acoustics. No guitar? Bring a mini speaker so that you can still jam out with your friends. 

6. Dranks

cake, beer, pumpkin
Cat Driscoll

Stay hydrated, kiddies! This includes but is not limited to: water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, soda, beer, boxed wine, and any other drinks your heart desires. Oh, and did I mention water? Because you should bring water. It’s important to stay hydrated and you might need it to cook your food, brush your teeth, and wash your dishes, among other things.

#SpoonTip: When you can't miss out on your morning cup of joe, especially after a night spent on the floor of a tent, bring some instant coffee to add to boiling water. Believe that instant coffee is for plebeians? Pack some cold brew coffee to bring along for the perfect glamping experience. 

7. Toiletries

beer, espresso, tea, coffee
Cat Driscoll

This includes your usual toothbrush and toothpaste combo. Depending on how long you are camping for, and where, you may want to bring shampoo and conditioner. Also, it's always a good idea to bring some TP and hand sanitizer because you never know what kind of bathroom sitch you’re walking into.

#SpoonTip: Go to your local outdoors store or to Amazon and get biodegradable shampoo and conditioner since it's safer for the environment.

8. Games

cake
Cat Driscoll

In the spirit of unplugging, it’s always good to have some games at the ready, and the options are endless. You can bring a notepad and pen, cards, a frisbee, maybe even a hacky sack if you're feelin' it.

#SpoonTip: For something completely ridiculous but hilarious, play sleeping bag worm wrestling. Two people get into their sleeping bags and kneel on opposite corners of the square that's been mapped out.

Both wrestlers bow to each other and then wiggle towards the middle/the other player. Whoever pushes the other person out of the square or pins them down for three Mississippis wins! It might sound kind of weird, but don't knock it 'till you've tried it. 

9. Foldable table and foldable chairs.

wine, coffee, beer
Cat Driscoll

A foldable table is perfect for holding all your food and supplies, or even as a surface for games like beer pong or slap cup. The chairs are also nice to have, so you're not stuck sitting on the ground after a long day of hiking, kayaking, or eating.

10. Cooking and eating supplies

link sausages, pork, beef, barbecue, meat, bratwurst, sausage
Megan Prendergast

What is camping without food, am I right? Bring your cooking supplies depending on what you're going to make. Maybe pack camping pots with a tripod and its own source of ignition for some curry, or a Dutch oven for cinnamon rolls, or even a camping grill for the classic burgers and dawgs. A cooler is also a necessity to keep your food, iced coffee, and dranks cold. Don't forget about cups, plates, and cutlery, otherwise you'll be eating out of a pan with your hands like a bunch of heathens.

Life hack: Just when you thought nothing could be better than a spork, the existence of the splayd is discovered! It's the ultimate fork, spoon, and knife combo. And honestly, what's better than having all of your utensils in one? That's adulting for sure.

There are tons of other things that I could add to this list, but these are the core 10. No matter where you are—New Zealand, New Hampshire, your backyard—camping is always a good time. Hopefully you get a chance to get outside and have yourself a camping trip that Bear Grylls would be proud of now that you know what to bring for camping (jk he'd probably dub it glamping). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯