Getting a tattoo is a pretty big decision: There's a level of pain involved, and it's permanent. Temporary tattoo alternatives wash off within a day or so, and they don't exactly look like a real tattoo. Recently, Inkbox, a Canadian company, used a fruit-based formula to create a long-lasting temporary tattoo that stays for up to two weeks.

These magical, long-lasting temporary tattoos are priced between $15-$30, and you can even purchase a bottle of ink to create your own designs. It sounded too good to be true, so I received two of these tattoos to see if it lived up to the hype.

Receiving the Product

ale, stout, tea, coffee, beer
Alicia Wala

The temporary tattoos shipped in a stylish box, containing everything you need. The directions for application are extremely thorough, and there's even a link to a short YouTube tutorial (that I highly recommend) for extra clarity.

I chose the tattoos called Copo, which looks like a snowflake, and Zeebedee, a seashell. Inkbox offers a range of tattoo sizes, and I chose the small-to-medium range.

Applying the Tattoo

candy, coffee, wine
Alicia Wala

The tools included in the box made me feel like a professional. You receive a glove and a cloth that needs to be microwaved. I felt like I was about to tattoo myself forever.

The actual process involves a decent amount of steps. Basically, you peel the tabs off of the tattoo, stick it to your skin, wipe the tattoo with the provided wipe, microwave your cloth and place it on the tattoo stuck to your skin for 15 minutes. Make sure you apply lots of pressure with the cloth.

Immediate Results

tea, cake
Alicia Wala

Honestly, I was pretty tired after applying pressure on my tattoos for a combined 30 minutes (I did them separately). But, I was really excited to see the results. 

After peeling off the adhesive, I saw a faint outline of the tattoo. I lightly washed it with soap and water (as instructed), and the excess ink came right off. Don't be alarmed! This is completely normal, since the tattoo will develop and darken over the next 24 hours.

Long Term Results

beer, coffee, tea
Alicia Wala

I tried to not sleep with my arm on my face or anything like that, because I didn't want the tattoo to transfer onto my face. When I woke up the next day, I saw that the tattoos developed overnight and looked completely authentic. I felt like I was keeping secret since these looked just like real tattoos, but would only last about 2 weeks.

If I remembered to, I put Vaseline on my tattoos before I showered so they would stay longer. These temporary tattoos really impressed me, and I got several compliments on them.

Final Thoughts

beer, coffee, tea
Alicia Wala

I was disappointed when my tattoos started to fade less than a week after their application, but I could have done more to prolong them. Applying Vaseline on my tattoos every time I shower, exfoliating before applying the tattoo and keeping my skin clean and moisturized could have allowed the tattoos to live up to their full potential. 

Overall, I definitely recommend these to anyone who is hesitant to get a real tattoo for whatever reason. These magical tattoos will be the perfect accessory for summer (and music festivals). I like these tattoos because they are parent-approved and the price is reasonable. It's so much cheaper than actually getting a real tattoo if you're still on the fence. I loved this product so much, and I seriously hope you try them out.