Being in college is a stressful, emotional, all in all, roller coaster of a time. Not only do students have to address their schoolwork, but now it’s becoming ever present that one must be aware of their emotional health as well. Many people in college go through things that they do not think anyone else feels. Depression, anxiety, and many other factors add onto the general stress one feels in college. I myself am no exception. For me I can point at the reason through my birth control, which has made me susceptible to the increase of hormones and side affects of depression that come with it. Often I feel myself in these moods and need a way to get me out of my funk.

The Signs

It’s easy to ignore the signs of a depressive streak creeping up. Lack of appetite, general hatred for everyone, and the need to cry are my personal symptoms. That being said, it’s important to realize when this is happening to you or someone you know. I do not claim to be an expert on depression and depressive tendencies, but I do know how I have felt in the past.

Last Saturday was one of these lovely days for me. Every day I try to wake up, plan out my day, and think with positivity. This day, however, was not the day to be positive. My body was done being happy, and my mind needed a reprieve from being positive.

By the end of the day, I knew I needed something to get me out of my funk, and to push me from sinking into an unhealthy state of mind.

The Change

Dinosaur chicken nuggets were what came to mind, something I hadn’t had since I was a little kid. The comfort of these familiar finger foods made me get off the couch and go to the store. For about $4, I purchased what I needed. Although I didn’t feel like the adult I had been pushing so hard to become in that moment, I did get reminded that sometimes it’s okay to revert.

Doing something for myself that was comforting and a bit silly, definitely lightened my mood. This is not to say that dinosaur chicken nuggets are the cure to a sad mental state or serious depression, but something similar could bring a smile to your face when needed.

In the end, it is important to realize that getting into a funk is allowed, feeling sad is acceptable, and treating yourself to something that makes you smile is worth it every time. 

So the next time I feel myself slipping into sadness, I promise to acknowledge that it is acceptable to not be happy all the time. Then, I promise to find out how to get me out of my funk, even if the answer is dinosaur chicken nuggets.