If you've been out shopping for groceries, you may have seen bottles of Bragg's Liquid Aminos. You might have also been wondering what the heck a "liquid amino" is, so here's the scoop on this health food.

Liquid Aminos are pretty much what they sound like: a liquid concentrate made from soybeans that holds a lot of the amino acids that humans need to survive. Meant to be used as an alternative to traditional soy sauce, Bragg's Liquid Aminos have eight of the nine amino acids that come from diets, and 16 amino acids in total, making them a great source of aminos. 

Amino acids serve a variety of purposes for the human body. The body uses amino acids to create proteins that will help to regrow body tissues, protect heart health, and can even be used as an energy source.

One serving of Bragg's Liquid Aminos has zero calories, zero carbohydrates, and zero fat, just like a serving of regular soy sauce does.

Bragg's is fine for people with a variety of food-related restrictions. It's gluten-free, vegan, and even Kosher certified. They're also safe for those with nut allergies.

However, although Bragg's has significantly less sodium than soy sauce, one serving of the liquid aminos contains around 13% of a person's daily sodium intake, so those who are watching their sodium intake should probably avoid this product.

Liquid aminos can also contain MSG since they're derived from soybeans, so anyone who is sensitive to MSG should be careful or avoid consuming Bragg's altogether.

If you love to cook with soy sauce and are also looking to up your amino acid intake, Bragg's Liquid Aminos is a solid choice. Try it in place of traditional soy sauce in a homemade Chinese dinner that's guaranteed to be way better than takeout.