I will be the first to admit that there are plenty of articles on Spoon about skin care (and they are worth checking out!). However, this particular list is all about speed. These kitchen items provide a speedy treatment for common skincare problems we all face on occasion, such as winter lips or random zits, perfect for a college student on a budget. Because sometimes we all have other things to worry about. 

1. Strawberries

strawberry, berry, cake
Isabella Alessandrini

Want to dry up a zit quickly? Use a little strawberry juice. Apply a little strawberry juice on your pimple and let it sit for a couple of minutes, and it will dry out the pimple. How? The acid in the fruit is a contributor, so don't let it sit on your face for too long. 

2. Lemon

lemon, citrus, juice, lemon peel
Caroline Liu

Lemon juice will also dry up an acne spot! Also very acidic, so do not use too much. Slice up a lemon in your kitchen for a quick zit cure.

3. Chocolate

chocolate, candy, sweet
Hailey Maher

There are plenty of homemade or purchasable chocolate face masks to try (maybe check out this one or this one). Chocolate has antioxidants that are good for your skin, and you probably want an excuse to include more chocolate in your life anyway. Well, here you go. 

4. Tea bags

tea, herb
Rehmat Babbar

Tea bags can reduce puffy eyes. Soak your tea bags and then refrigerate for 10-20 minutes before placing over or under your eyes. Green tea specifically can treat dark circles under the eyes, you can use these when you have been up late studying like the dutiful college student you are. 

5. Brown Sugar

coffee, chocolate, espresso, cappuccino, cream
Kiera Murphy

Brown sugar is a great lip exfoliant. Take a pinch or two and rub it on your lips to get rid of dead skin. You can lick it off when you are done!

6. Ice packs

ice, water
Jasmine Chan

Ice reduces swelling and redness, as you may know if you have ever bruised, swelled, burned yourself, etc. Along with a regular acne wash routine, ice can also reduce pimples and shrink your pores. You can hold an ice pack to your face after washing for five minute intervals until the ice melts. You can also massage your face in circular motions with an ice cube for tighter and less red skin. 

7. Boiling Water

tea, coffee, kettle
Kaitlin Wheeler

Grab a towel and boil some water to create an at-home steam facial. Boil a pot of water and then let it sit until it stops bubbling (you don't want hot water spraying into your face). Lean over your pot or bowl with a towel over your head to lock in the steam. Keep you face approximately a foot away from the water for about 10-15 minutes.

If you want to really tailor the experience, add some lavender, parsley, chamomile, eucalyptus, fennel, or rosemary for some skin-friendly effects.

8. Salt and Coconut Oil

cream, sweet
Aakanksha Joshi

Create a body or foot scrub using salt and coconut oil. Add orange zest, coffee grounds, or essential oils if you would like. The amount of each ingredient will vary due to the amount you want, but aim for less oil than salt for a course texture. Look forward to some baby soft hands and feet!

Who knew that there were some accessible skin fixes right at your fingertips? If you are ever in a bind, you know where to find these!