Most people spend their whole life waiting for happiness. We think that it's something that just happens when it's something that should be pursued every single day. One thing we are all misinformed about is where happiness comes from. We think it comes from external things like health, beauty, status, or wealth. Don't get me wrong, those things do make us happy but where it really comes from is within us. 

More times than not I found we rely on others to make us happy, but only later find ourselves disappointed. Most people can't or don't want to realize others are their source of happiness. Majority of the time I find it's because they've become so infatuated and attached to them they may not be able to pull them self out of that trance. I fall victim to this.

chocolate, beer, wine, coffee
Jessica Ciccarella

Since I've recognized it, I've been slowly getting myself out of it. How? By putting myself first. Finding happiness from within is not something that happens over night, or at least that's what I have found to be the case. It takes time for you to become fully aware of what makes you spark. It wasn't easy for me at first because I was so used to putting other peoples needs before my own, but it got easier. So don't be alarmed if you find your self in the same position. Slowly but surely you'll find what makes you the happiest. 

If you find yourself saying you want to see yourself happy, what the hell are you waiting for? Don't put it off for tomorrow or next week or next month do it now. You should make your focus everyday on what makes you happy. If you don't know where or how to start, I'll show you how I'm doing it. 

Take Care Of Yourself

Don't put yourself off for another second. Treat yo' self. Do something every day YOU want to do. Whether it be going on a hike, taking yourself out to dinner, taking a dance class, reading a book, going to the gym or what have you. Do at least one thing every day that makes your soul light up. Happy people take care of themselves first. 

Accept That You Can't Change Everything and Everyone

We all want to be the person that someone changes for. You can spend a whole lifetime waiting and still end up being unhappy. So why try changing someone you can't when you can be focusing on yourself and achieving your own goals? 

Surround Yourself With Those Who Lift You Up

Look at the people who are in your life. If they are constantly making you unhappy, delete them. Remove them from your life 'cause you ain't got time for that. Make room for those who motivate and support you. Who make you smile and laugh so hard tears are streaming down your face and more importantly people who make you feel alive. 

Let Life Happen

We all want to be in control of our lives. When we feel like we have no control we get upset. So instead of trying to force things to happen let life take its course. Life can work in your favor sometimes. So sit back and enjoy life in the passenger seat and live in the moment because you may miss out on some great opportunities if you don't. 

Trust Yourself

You're smarter than you think. if you think someone telling you this or that makes you happy you got it all wrong. You have to start believing your gut instincts are correct. If something feels right it probably is. If something feels wrong it's probably wrong. So if you know texting, calling, seeing someone or doing something is going to make you happy, what's stopping you?

Happiness is a goal that we all have in life, so don't always expect that you're not going to be sad, angry and or fearful. Life is a roller coaster and you will have some off days and or moments but it's the focus and drive to being the best you can that will help you get through it. 

You don't need anyone to tell you what makes you happy. Odds, you already know, you just need to focus on finding and grasping onto it. You can have a million people tell you you have to start focusing on your own happiness but it's the moment you tell yourself you're going to is when you actually start. It's how I started and it made my soul feel more alive than it had been in a while. 

beer, coffee
Mary Rose Bevins