Growing up, I was never a fan of drinking milk. The thought of sipping on something that came out of a cows udders had no appeal to me. But my mom always stressed, "you have to find another way to get calcium." I knew it was important, especially for women, because a lack of calcium effects a lot of things.

Overall, if you're not getting the sufficient amount of calcium your body needs, it leads to much weaker bones among other things. So here are eight other foods that are just as calcium-rich (if not more) than your typical glass of milk.

1. Cheese

Juliet Paterek

Cheese is undoubtedly amazing and is not a difficult food to find a way to incorporate throughout your diet each day. If this is what it takes to get my daily calcium intake, I have no complaints. Soft mozzarella (242 mg ) and Feta (270 mg) are the two cheeses with the highest amount of calcium.

2. Sardines

coffee, beer
Caroline Ingalls

These might not be your go-to snack but don't dismiss these canned sources of calcium yet. Sardines are actually one of the healthiest fish you can eat. Not only do they have a lot of calcium, but these canned fish also have a hefty dose of omega 3's and vitamin D. 

3. Dark Leafy Greens

lettuce, pasture, broccoli, cabbage, vegetable, kale
Molly Doroba

Greens such as spinach, kale, turnips, and collard greens are all a great source of calcium. Make a nice leafy salad or snack on some crunchy kale chips for your fix of these nutrient-rich foods. 

4. Dried Figs

cheese
Julia Maguire

Dried figs look weird but taste like candy. Snack on them plain or give them a try on top of goat cheese for a double dose of calcium. These dried fruits are actually the best fruit source of calcium there is with 241 mg of calcium per cup.

5. Edamame

lentil, mung bean, soy, cereal, pasture, pea, vegetable, legume
Emanuel Storch

Edamame are ~immature~ soybeans that are packed with calcium (98 mg). Enjoy with salt either in the pod or out,  but these make for a great snack at any time of the day.

6. Seaweed

aonori, wakame, kombu, laver, seafood, sushi, nori
Jaye Lind

Seaweed is high in calcium as well as in vitamins A, B6, and C, iodine, fiber, antioxidants, and magnesium. This vegetable of the sea probably isn't typically your go-to snack, but with all the health benefits, it should be.

7. Oranges

grapefruit, lemon, tangerine, sweet, citrus, juice
Marlee Goldman

Typically known for their high vitamin C content and for fighting the common cold, oranges are actually full of calcium. The whole fruit has 65 mg of calcium and orange juice has 27 mg.

8. Cereal

cookie, wheat, nut, sweet, cereal
Hannah Linn

Unfortunately not all cereal is calcium-rich but the cereal under the brand "Total" is. These include cereals such as Total Corn Flakes, Total Raisin Brand, Fiber one and Cheerios. And don't discount dry cereal — it's just as good minus the milk.

There are so many other calcium-rich foods that are also dairy-free. So if you don't want to drink a boring glass of milk, supplement one of these highly concentrated calcium foods instead.