While we're in school, there's always one thing that everyone waits for: summer. Summer means no midterms, no finals, no never-ending list of assignments and no homework. Summer is a time where we finally get to just kick back while enjoying the day.

Now that summer is finally here, it's a time to clear your mind of anything and everything school related and soak up sun rays on the best of beaches. If you're in the New York/New Jersey area, here are some of the best beaches to spend your summer on:

1. Asbury Park Beach, Asbury Park, NJ

Asbury Park has the perfect beach and boardwalk duo for all your leisurely beach needs this summer. Beach badges are only $5 on a regular day ($7 on holidays). You can set up your own picnic, or, if you don't want to worry about traveling with food, the boardwalk has an endless array of different food options for you to choose from. For more information about Asbury Park Beach, check out their website

2. Robert Moses Beach, Babylon, NY

At the most Western point of Fire Island sits Robert Moses Beach. With a five mile long shoreline and scenic park areas equipped with grills and tables, this beach is the perfect place to spend a sunny summer day. Bored? There's even a 18-hole Pitch & Putt Golf Course open for you and a volleyball court that can host up to 21 games at a time! 

3. Long Branch Beach, Long Branch, NJ

The beach at Long Branch is the perfect spot for a summer day spent with some friends on the beach. Like Asbury Park, beach badges are only $5 during the week and $7 on weekends. You can pack up your cooler and set yourself up for a whole day of just laying in the sun without a care in the world.

4. Smith Point Beach, Shirley, NY

Opposite of Robert Moses, Smith Point Beach is located on the eastern end of Fire Island (I know, right? Just when you think Fire Island can't get any better, there's a beach in every direction). The beach is open seven days a week and is the perfect spot to get in some early rays.

5. Seaside Heights Beach, Seaside Heights, NJ

Made famous by MTV's hit reality show, Jersey Shore, Seaside Heights is another great place to spend a summer day. Wristbands for the day are $8 or, if you plan on spending a whole week laid out on the shore, $35. The boardwalk is filled with stores, games, and various food spots for miles so you'll never get bored here.

Once you've picked the best spot for your sun-baked voyage, be sure to pack the best snacks to accompany you. These are just a few of the best beach spots in the area, though there are undoubtedly many more. Make sure you take some time this summer to relax and catch a few rays before the semester begins, and you find yourself stuck in a whirlwind of classes, papers and exams.