Any image-altering transformation is terrifying, there's no doubt about that. One common makeover is getting your hair cut, which can be especially nerve-wracking if that change is as dramatic as cutting off over ten inches hair. In sixth grade, I went from having hair below my shoulders to a 'do that barely grazed my ears. I have never once regretted my decision of getting a pixie cut, because hey, Emma Watson rocked hers, but I have picked up on a few common surprises that girls who get pixie cuts run into.

So, let me show you what having short hair is all about. Here are 7 things you should know before you chop off your hair. Spoiler alert: you won't regret it.  

1. Showering

Taking a shower and brushing your hair will feel so weird, especially when it only takes two minutes to dry. As your hands/brush slide through your hair, you'll feel like something's missing. But then you'll realize how darn cute you look.

2. Never Short Enough

You'll get addicted to cutting it shorter and shorter and trying new things. Every time I went in I'd end up snipping off a little more off than the time before because it's no longer remotely scary.

3. Reactions Galore

Prepare for the onslaught of reactions ranging from "What happened?" to "Dang, girl!". Any haters are just jealous that you can rock your new 'do.

4. Constant Haircuts

Your hair appointments will need to be more frequent (I'm talking every few months) in order to make sure you don't look like a shaggy dog.

5. Growing It Out

Growing short hair out is a pain, so only do so if you're fully committed. Otherwise, you'll end up cutting it back off out of pure annoyance.

6. Accessorizing

Scarves, necklaces, and earrings will become your best friends! No annoying hair lumps or tangled strands with this 'do.

7. Girl or Boy?

This last one is a hard one. I'm sorry, but if you get your hair cut short, at some point you WILL be mistaken for a boy. It sucks. It really does. I've had numerous occurrences that have never quite left my memory. But trust me, it is worth it. Know that you are a strong woman and rock that hair like there's no tomorrow because you look fabulous!

While some of these insights from the short hair community are scary, others are truly embody what makes a pixie cut totally worth it. Not everyone will love sporting short hair, but you'll never know if you don't give it a try. In the end, it is just hair, so why not have some fun with it?