It all started with a delicious dip known as guacamole (thank you Mexico), when the world became obsessed with avocados. Many years passed before the amazing health benefits of this fruit were discovered. But when science uncovered its properties, the need for creating avocado oil emerged.

OK, I know you are familiar with avocados; but did you know that avocado oil existed? By weight, an avocado is 73% water, 15% fat, 8.5% carbs (mostly fibers) and 2% protein. Now, imagine pressing all that fat and nutrients from the pulp, and turning it into a powerful oil that you can used in dressings and for cooking. Read through to learn why Avocado Oil is superior to many other oils.

1. Avocados are a Miracle Fruit

vegetable, rose
Weichen Yan

Unlike most fruits, which are mostly made of fiber and natural sugars, avocados are high in healthy fats. They are a superfood since they hold a unique nutritional profile, with lots of fiber and nutrients, such as vitamin B, C, E and K and copper. They even have more potassium than a banana.

2. Its Omega Content is Similar to that of Olive Oil

rosemary, oil, tea, herb, olive oil
Jessica Kelly

They are 70% oleic acid (in science language it is monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid), which is the good kind of fat for cardiovascular health.

3. It's Perfect for Cooking with its High Smoke Point

beer, coffee
Elizabeth Layman

Many oils lose their nutritional benefits when they are used for cooking, since the unsaturated fatty acid molecules "denature" at high temperatures. Avocado oil has a very high smoke point (400ºF), making it perfectly healthy to eat even when used in stir-fry, baking or roasting. 

4. It Boosts Carotenoid Absorption

vegetable, salad, sandwich, guacamole, toast, bread, avocado
Haley Abram

Carotenoids are antioxidants found in orange vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrots and squash. They promote healthy skin, lower risk of cancer and eye-related diseases. Research has shown that carotenoids need fat for your body to absorb them. Therefore, when you eat avocados, your body's ability to absorb carotenoids increases by 15 times. Conclusion: cook your sweet potatoes with avocado oil, or try these avocado-loaded sweet potato skins.

5. It Maintains a Healthy Blood Pressure and Lowers Cholesterol

egg yolk, egg
lauren feld

Since avocado oil has a lot of monounsaturated fats, it makes your heart happy. This health property is also in other foods such as salmon, oatmeal and olive oil.

6. Perfect for Salad Dressings and Mayos

Paula Cappellin

Avocado oil's mild, neutral taste makes it the perfect oil for mayonnaise and dressings. My absolutely favorite brand selling Avocado oil products is Primal Kitchen

7. It's also Great for your Hair and Skin

Elizabeth Layman

Treating your hair with avocado oil will make your hair less dry and more shinny and hydrated. Here is a avocado face mask you may try at home.

Everyone should have a bottle of avocado oil in their kitchen pantry, right next to the typical bottle of olive oil. Even try to swap your costume-bought mayos (made with processed canola oil) with Primal Kitchen's Avocado Oil mayos and salad dressings. You and your body will not regret it. 

Special thanks to Primal Kitchen for the avocado oil samples. All reviews are honest and of my own.