Water plays a key role in so many processes in our bodies, so staying hydrated is super important to our overall health, especially in the summer heat. Being busy in our everyday lives makes it hard to keep up with being hydrated. Whether it's work, school, etc., hydration isn't usually the first thing on your mind.

Drinking the right amount of water each day has numerous benefits, including aiding in digestion, and more. To help you stay hydrated, here’s five ways to stay more hydrated throughout your day:

1. Carry a reusable water bottle, always

alcohol, water
Liz Pope

First and foremost, keep a water bottle that you can easily refill on you at all times. Having your own water supply on you can help remind you to drink water throughout the day. It can also help you steer clear of soda and other sugary drinks and as well as help you save money because you'll skip purchasing plastic water bottles. Be sure to refill it regularly. The bigger the bottle, the easier it is to drink more.

2. Eat hydrating foods

melon, watermelon
Tess Wei

Foods, yes foods can actually help you to stay more hydrated. Foods with naturally high water volume: cucumbers, watermelon, celery and peppers all have a decent amount of water in them. Count items like smoothies for half their total water volume (a 16 oz smoothie would help you get an extra 8 oz of water in). It’s a lot about the water you drink, but other sources like these foods and fluids can also help you reach your goals.

3. Have one full glass each morning and each evening

water cup, glass, ice, iced water, beer, water

Make it a habit to have a full glass of water first thing in the morning and another later on in the day. By getting into this habit, you can already count in two extra glasses daily. Aim for each one of these glasses to be 8-12 oz each.

4. Prepare Flavored Water in Advance

cocktail, lemonade, sweet, tea, citrus, juice, ice, lemon
Pauline Fitzgerald

Prepare pitchers or bottles of flavored water, such as lemon, lime or grapefruit slices, or diced up ginger and mint. Adding these flavors can add a subtle flavor, perking up your plain water while increasing your daily intake. If prepared the day before, you’ll have more time to grab it and go on about your day, and the flavors will sit in the water all night, leaving your body feeling cleansed and hydrated.

5. Use an app to track your cups, or reminders to drink more

date, coffee, tea
Justin Shannin

Another great way to track how much water you’re drinking is to use an app to help you stay on top of it. Daily Water Free or Carbodroid are both apps at no cost– download them to your phone to set daily reminders and alarms increasing hydration each day!

By following these steps every day, you'll find yourself feeling less thirsty and more quenched. Sometimes it's hard to monitor how much water you need to drink in order to feel hydrated, but once you make it a habit, you'll be drinking water as much as you breathe air.