Hybrid foods have exploded in popularity in the past few years: cronuts, the ramen burger, and Doritos Locos Tacos. In fact, we even declared hybrid foods as one of seven food trends we’re excited to leave in 2014, but we’d happily make an exception for this sushi burrito any day. This concoction is part sushi, part burrito and all parts delicious. The official sushirrito is only available in San Francisco, but if you don’t live near San Fran, you can easily enjoy this creation at home by making it yourself. It’s healthy, quick (15 minutes tops!) and requires no cooking — only assembly.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Servings: 1 sushi burrito

1 nori sheet
1/4 cup cooked rice, cooled to room temperature
1/4 avocado
1/8-lb sushi grade salmon (you can substitute imitation crab or tofu)
1/4 cup cucumber
1/4 cup carrots
1 splash rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 pinch salt
1 small bowl warm water

Directions:

burrito

Photo by Lily Lou

1. Prepare sushi rice by mixing warm rice, rice vinegar, sugar and salt.

burrito

Photo by Lily Lou

burrito

Photo by Lily Lou

2. Thinly slice all fillings (avocado, salmon, cucumber, carrots) and set aside.

burrito

Photo by Lily Lou

3. Put nori sheet onto a sushi roller (if you don’t have one, check out this tutorial using a towel and plastic wrap)

burrito

Photo by Lily Lou

4. Dip fingers in lukewarm water and spread sushi rice on the nori sheet.

burrito

Photo by Lily Lou

5. Add toppings to the nori sheet, about one inch away from the bottom.

burrito

Photo by Lily Lou

6. Roll sheet, applying pressure as you roll. The rice will make the roll stick together, so don’t worry about it falling apart. Once you’ve almost finished, add a little extra pressure on the overlap between the two seaweed layers to ensure that the burrito stays together. The overlap should be about one inch. To make the burrito look prettier, cut the ends so that they are even and neat. You can also wrap it in paper once you’ve finished rolling the burrito. I used parchment paper and rolled the burrito in it and twisted the bottom to prevent the burrito from falling apart.

burrito

Photo by Lily Lou

7. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi.