Sushi is one of the greatest foods ever. There’s just something so satisfying about goodness wrapped in seaweed and rice. It’s like a hug of umami and carbs.

Make this sushi bowl at home for a quick sushi-flavor fix. You can use whatever vegetables you like. I used mixed chopped vegetables and cucumbers. Asparagus and more classic sushi vegetables work, as well, but feel free to get creative.

Avocado, tempeh, and/or edamame give the bowl some staying power, and drizzling ginger sesame dressing, and/or soy sauce makes it extra delicious.

This is 1 of 7 meals from the round-up How to Make a Week’s Worth of Vegan Meals for Under $30 From Trader Joe’s.

Vegan Sushi Bowl

• Prep Time:7 minutes
  • Cook Time:8 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes
  • Servings:1-2

• 1 package pre-cooked frozen brown rice (or any rice or quinoa)
  • 1 cup vegetables of choice (suggested: asparagus, broccoli)
  • 1/4 cup Trader Joe's Ming's Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette
  • 1 cucumber, chopped
  • 1/3 avocado, cubed
  • 1/2 package dried seaweed snacks
  • 1/2 cup edamame
  • 4 oz tempeh or tofu (optional)

Cook pre-cooked frozen rice in the microwave for 3 minutes, or simply follow instructions on package.

Photo by Katherine Baker

Cube tempeh into 1-inch squares. Slice cucumber and cube avocado and set aside.

Microwave vegetables (except cucumber) and edamame for 2-3 minutes, until tender.

In a bowl, layer rice, kale or lettuce, vegetables, cucumber, tempeh and/or edamame, and avocado.

Photo by Katherine Baker