Ever wonder how you could make your favorite childhood treat? Well, now you can, except now you can make it better. Update the classic Reese’s peanut butter cup by adding some jelly and topping it with flakes of sea salt. The jelly makes for a great fruity addition and the salt balances out the sweet. You’re about to open up a whole new candy making world. Move over Willy Wonka.

Homemade Peanut Butter & Jelly Cups

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Medium

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Freeze Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Servings: 4

1 cup creamy peanut butter
24 oz. good quality semi-sweet chocolate (or whatever chocolate you like)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Your favorite jelly or preserves

1. Line muffin tins with aluminum cupcake/muffin liners.
2. In a microwave proof bowl, add the chocolate and vegetable oil. Microwave for 30 second intervals, removing after each interval and stirring with a spoon until smooth. Should be about 3 intervals.
3. Pour one spoonful of melted chocolate on the bottom of each liner.
4. Spoon a dollop of the peanut butter in the center of the chocolate, and a spoonful of jelly on top of the peanut butter. Make sure the pb&j are in the center of the chocolate and not touching the sides of the liners.
5. Pour melted chocolate over the peanut butter and jelly dollops to cover them completely.
6. Smooth the top out with a spoon and sprinkle with a few flakes of sea salt. Repeat until you’ve filled all the molds.
7. Freeze for 30 minutes, until firm, then remove, wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat.

Homemade Peanut Butter & Jelly Cups

Photo by Amanda Shulman