This week, I was challenged by Brian to come up with a simple, delicious, romantic dinner. We each took to the kitchen to make different Valentine’s day dishes, from both the male and female perspective. Chaos ensued.

Just kidding.

Making food for people is something that I really enjoy. The time and effort that goes into cooking for others is really one of the biggest gifts of gratitude. On Valentine’s Day, we show our love through making red velvet pancakes to start the morning, chewy red cookies to snack on with  friends, and by the time it’s dinner, the convention generally is to eat out. Yes, you could spend over $100 for a four-course meal at the Melting Pot with your date. Or you could skip the crowded restaurants and opt for a candlelit fondue dinner, made entirely by you. And no, you don’t need any special equipment or extra time.

Cheese Fondue

Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes

Servings: 2

Medium

12oz cheese of any kind (I used swiss and gouda). Tip: The less processed the cheese, the better the fondue. Aged cheeses work especially well.
1 cup white wine or vegetable broth with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
½ cup chopped vegetables of choice (I used mushrooms and spinach)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya

1. Grate cheese. Then, mix cheese and flour in a bowl until well combined.

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya

2. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and sauté garlic and vegetables until soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya

3. Pour in your choice of liquid and bring to a simmer.
4. Slowly add the cheese mixture, working with small handfuls and stirring constantly until everything has melted.

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya

5. Transfer the contents into a fondue machine if you have one. If not, keep in the pot and serve warm.

Dipping suggestions: Apples, chips, bread, or broccoli florets.

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Chocolate Fondue

Prep time: 0 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes

Servings: 2

Easy

1/2 cup melting chocolate

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Directions

1. Boil water in a double boiler. If you don’t have one, boil water in a pot.

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya

2. In a separate pot, add the chocolate. If you are not using a double boiler, hold the pot with the chocolate over the water without setting it in the water (otherwise pressure will build up and it could explode). 

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya

3. Stir occasionally until the chocolate melts.

Dipping suggestions: Fruit, nuts, popcorn, cake, or marshmallows.

Feeling fancy? Try pouring the chocolate in a wine glass and adding a sprinkle of powdered sugar.

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Cheese and chocolate, anyone?

Parisa Soraya - Fondue Dinner + Dessert

Photo by Parisa Soraya