These cookies are strong and hearty, sweet and textured. The mild nuttiness of the coconut is enhanced by a hefty coat of silky chocolate, taking these macaroons to new heights. Forget everything you thought you knew about macaroons and prepare yourself to create a new and magnificent archetype for this beloved and classic cookie.

Recipe adapted from Alice Medrich

Medium

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour

Servings: 15-20 depending on size

4 large egg whites
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
4 cups sweetened shredded coconut flakes
12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter

1. Bring a pot of water to a high simmer on the stove.
2. Combine the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt in a heat-proof bowl. Place bowl over simmering water and stir continuously until egg whites become thick and slightly opaque, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in coconut. Let sit for 30 minutes so coconut absorbs the wet mixture.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Spoon the mixture into round attractive heaps, about 2 tablespoons each, onto a greased baking sheet.
6. Bake for 6 minutes or until the tips of the cookies are toasted. Then turn oven down to 325 F° and bake for 15 more minutes until hardened all over the outside.
7. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack. If the sides run while baking, trim the edges with a knife.

Macaroons

Photo by Amanda Shulman

8. Melt the chocolate over a simmering pot of water in a heat-proof bowl. Stir in the butter until melted.
9. Dip the macaroons in the chocolate, covering half of them and completely enrobing that one half. Return to a greased baking sheet and put in fridge to harden.

Macaroons

Photo by Amanda Shulman