There’s just something about cheesy broccoli pasta that is extremely comforting. The only problem is that this comforting feeling can knock out most of your calories for the day. However, by swapping traditional enriched pasta for good ole spaghetti squash (I promise you won’t taste the difference) and skimming down just a touch on the cheese, this meal becomes much healthier but still has the same comforting taste. Besides, who wouldn’t want to try a warm cheesy broccoli spaghetti squash boat with the crazy-polar-vortex-ice-age-like thing happening outside?

Medium

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes

Servings: 1

½ spaghetti squash, seeds removed
½ cup broccoli florets
¼ cup cheddar cheese, plus more for topping (I opt for the low fat option)
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste
All purpose cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 425°F

spaghetti squash recipes

Photo by Shruti Thundiyil

2. Spray spaghetti squash with cooking spray.

spaghetti squash recipes

Photo by Shruti Thundiyil

3. Place squash flesh side down on a baking sheet and bake until soft, about 40 minutes.

spaghetti squash recipes

Photo by Shruti Thundiyil

4. When the squash has 10 minutes remaining, steam the broccoli. Tip: I keep it simple and put the broccoli florets in a bowl of water and microwave for 4 minutes.

spaghetti squash recipes

Photo by Shruti Thundiyil

5. When the spaghetti squash has softened, use a fork to scrape the flesh into a bowl and place the “boat,” or hard skin, to the side.

spaghetti squash recipes

Photo by Shruti Thundiyil

6. Add the cheddar cheese and steamed broccoli and toss together.

spaghetti squash recipes

Photo by Shruti Thundiyil

7. Season it up with a lil salt, pepper and garlic powder.
8. Place the spaghetti squash mixture back into the “boat” and top with parmesan and cheddar cheese.
9. Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the cheesy crust has browned slightly.

spaghetti squash recipes

Photo by Shruti Thundiyil

10. Remove from the oven and dig into your guiltless, but darn delicious, dinner.

spaghetti squash recipes

Photo by Shruti Thundiyil