When your roommate tells you they’re about to make meatloaf, you might get a little excited. Comfort food is always a good thing to have around. However, when they tell you they’re about to make mini meatloaves, you get to the kitchen as fast as you can, camera in hand.

“How can such a thing exist?” you ask. Welcome to my world — where meat and baked goods collide. I was confused at first too. But, no matter… Let’s get started.

4-Bite Mini Meatloaves

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour and 30 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour and 45 minutes
  • Servings:8-10

• 2 lbs ground beef
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cup dried and seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 box instant mashed potatoes (5-13 oz)
  • ketchup
  • salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Break up the ground beef in a large bowl and chop up the onion.

Measure out bread crumbs and garlic powder.

Combine bread crumbs, eggs, garlic powder, and onion with ground beef.

Use your hands or a spatula to squish the ingredients together. You may add some water or milk if the consistency is too difficult to work with.

Scoop up the mixture and form into 1 and a half inch balls. Place in a non-stick baking pan or a cast iron skillet.

#SpoonTip: You can also use a non-stick muffin pan, filling up the slots about 75 percent of the way full.

Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Prepare instant potatoes according to the directions on the package. When finished, scoop onto the top of the baked meatloaf bites. Drizzle with ketchup and enjoy.

#SpoonTip: Fill a ziploc bag with your finished potatoes and cut a one-centimeter hole in the corner. You can now use it as a piping bag to make the loaves look prettier. 

Photo by Morgan Willie