As members of Colby College entering the Spoon University community, we want our first recipe to represent us and where we come from as best it can.

Typically when you think of Maine, cozy winters and Maine lobster are the first things that come to your mind, right? So what could be a better representation of our college’s home state than an easy-to-make fancy grilled cheese lobster sandwich to warm your insides on a cold night? EVERYONE loves cheese and everyone loves fresh Maine lobster – and if you don’t, well you will after this.

Gourmet Lobster Grilled Cheese

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:6 minutes
  • Total Time:12 minutes
  • Servings:1 sandwich

• 2-4 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup cooked Maine lobster
  • 1 oz brie
  • 1 oz cream cheese
  • 3-4 scallions
  • 2 thin slices of tomato
  • 2 slices of white panini bread (or country-style white bread)
Photo by Amelia Patsalos-Fox

Organize and prep all of your ingredients: coarsely cut the cooked lobster, slice 2-3 thin slices of tomato, thinly slice the white and green parts of the scallions, and portion out the cheese.

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

Melt a tablespoon of butter in a sauté pan and heat up the lobster for about two minutes (color of lobster will become a brighter red).

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, Brie, and scallions.

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

Spread cheese mixture on both pieces of bread evenly. In a large non-stick pan, melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Place a piece of bread with the cheese mixture up and spread the lobster evenly across the bread.

Photo by Madeleine Cohen.

Add tomato slices on top of the layers of lobster.

Photo by Madeleine Cohen.

Add the other piece of bread with the cheese mixture side down and spread the remaining butter on the top of the sandwich. Cook for another 2-3 minutes before flipping the sandwich over.

Photo by Amelia Patsalos-Fox.

Carefully flip the sandwich with a spatula and push down gently. Cook the other side for about 3 more minutes or until bread is toasted golden brown and the inside is melted.

Photo by Madeleine Cohen.

Cut in half and enjoy!

Photo by Amelia Patsalos- Fox