Mojitos are the perfect summer cocktail, but the booze can leave you feeling hot and hungover instead of refreshed. We recreated Argo Tea’s Mojitea: an alcohol-free iced tea cocktail that gives you the delicious mint-lime flavor of a mojito without the wooziness. Argo Tea’s bottle says their Mojitea is made from lime juice, mint tea and pure cane sugar. The simplicity of the ingredients inspired us to create our own version of the drink. The results are pretty impressive with minimal effort. Make this Mojitea for your next pool party or get together… we won’t even stop you if you decide to spike this innocent iced tea.

Easy

Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Cooling Time: 4 hours (can be reduced with ice)
Total Time: 4 hours 16 minutes (or less)

Servings: 4

4 cups water
2 bags of mint tea
2 limes – juiced
Simple syrup:
1/3 cup water (separate from water above)
1/3 cup sugar

PREPARING THE TEA:
1. Pour 4 cups of water into a pot and bring to a boil.

_DSC0701

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

2. After the water has boiled, turn the heat off and place the tea bags into the water. Let steep as directed on the tea bag.

_DSC0706

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

3. After tea has steeped, discard the tea bags. Transfer the hot tea into a heat-resistant cooler or pitcher. You can begin the cooling process by adding ice cubes, or you can wait until everything has been combined to put the tea in the fridge.

_DSC0747

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

PREPARING THE SIMPLE SYRUP:

4. Simple syrup is one part sugar and one part water. For this recipe, combine 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup sugar into a saucepan. Stir on medium heat until the sugar has dissolved completely. Take the pan off the flame and let the syrup cool. To speed up the cooling process, stir vigorously to help the heat escape.

_DSC0737

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

PREPARING THE LIME JUICE:

5. Slice the limes in half.

Tip: Roll the limes under your palms a bit to ensure you get the most juice possible.

_DSC0812

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

6. Squeeze the juice out by hand, or use a citrus juicer if you have one handy.

_DSC0768

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

SERVING THE MOJITEA

7. Add the simple syrup and lime juice to the tea and leave in the fridge for a few hours to cool. If you’re short on time, you can just use an ample amount of ice cubes to get the job done.

_DSC0793

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

Tip: To impress your friends, guests or yourself, serve the mojitea on ice with lime wedges or wheels. Umbrella straws won’t hurt either.

_DSC0834

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

Check out the other tea- and/or cocktail-related articles from Spoon U below: