Sushi is a meal for everyone. Going out to sushi is the most perfect first date option according to many NYC-based early 2000s rom-coms, too. However, there are so many sushi rolls to choose from that I never know which one to order. Do I want the spicy tuna sushi roll or the rainbow sushi roll? The spider roll or the California roll? This led me to wonder which sushi roll is healthier and which one has fewer calories.

Here, I have ranked the most popular sushi rolls so that you too can become a sushi expert. In regards to the high-calorie rolls, remember that your happiness and health are much more important that counting calories. Just enjoy that good sushi roll, and have a good time!

11. The Shrimp Tempura Roll

The Shrimp Tempura Roll has the most calories because the shrimp are breaded and fried, giving the roll an extra crunch. It has 508 calories, 21 grams of fat, 64 carbohydrates, and 20 grams of protein. This is a good option for those plunging into the world of sushi and not ready for raw fish just yet. 

10. Rainbow Roll

The Rainbow Roll is for those who want a little bit of everything. It has 475 calories, 16 grams of fat, 50 grams of carbohydrates, and 33 grams of protein. This sushi roll is categorized by an array of fish on top, therefore making it one of the most diverse and protein-packed rolls. This choice will keep you focused and full– and makes for one colorful meal.

9. Eel (Unagi) Avocado Roll

Eel is chewy and one of the fattier fishes used in sushi. The Eel Avocado Roll has 372 calories, 17 grams of fat, 31 grams of carbohydrates, and 20 grams of protein. Though delicious, it requires an advanced sushi palate because the taste and texture do not appeal to everyone.

8. Caterpillar Roll

The Caterpillar Roll is named for the beautifully thin avocado slices on top. It has 390 calories, 18 grams of fat, 49 carbohydrates, and 6 grams of protein. Besides the avocado, this role usually contains eel, tobiko (fish roe), and cucumber.

7. Philadelphia Roll

The Philadelphia Roll has salmon and cream cheese, which makes it one of the more caloric sushi rolls. It has 319 calories, 5 grams of fat, 56 carbohydrates, and 23 grams of protein. It’s one of the best rolls to get if you’re into a delectable salmon and cream cheese combo. 

6. Spider Roll

The Spider Roll is primarily composed of battered crab, adding flavor and calories to an otherwise simple roll. It has 317 calories, 12 grams of fat, 38 carbohydrates, and 13 grams of protein. The fried preparation of the crab adds a bit more fat; however, it is still a very popular and tasty roll that you will adore. 

5. Salmon Avocado Roll

The Salmon Avocado Roll is packed with health benefits. This sushi roll has 304 calories, 8.7 grams of fat, 42 carbohydrates, and 13 grams of protein. It is great because of its omega-3s and healthy fats.

4. Spicy Tuna Roll

The Spicy Tuna Roll has more spice and pizzazz than your regular tuna roll. It has 290 calories, 11 grams of fat, 26 carbohydrates, and 24 grams of protein. The delicious spiciness is made with a combo of mayonnaise, hot sauce, and green onions. This is my go-to roll for sure!

3. California Roll

The California Roll is a true sushi classic. It has 255 calories, 7 grams of fat, 38 carbohydrates, and 9 grams of protein. It is the perfect roll for a light meal or for beginners trying sushi for the first time.

2. Tuna (Maguro) Roll

The Tuna Roll is also very simple with the added protein. It has 184 calories, 2 grams of fat, 27 grams of carbohydrates, and 24 grams of protein. The raw tuna really gets to shine in this roll with no added seasonings or veggies alongside it. 

1. Avocado Roll

The Avocado Sushi Roll contains the lowest amount of calories because it is one of the simplest rolls to order. An avocado roll contains 140 calories, 5.7 grams of fat, 28 grams of carbohydrates, and 2.1 grams of protein. This roll is light, and perfect for the vegetarian, vegan, or fish-averse foodie in your life.