Breakfast can start to feel a little routine as a college student. You roll out of bed twenty minutes before class and eat some plain oatmeal or a quick smoothie. You wake up tired but don’t have enough time for both coffee and breakfast. You might have to sacrifice breakfast for that shot of energy.

Enter matcha powder. This superfood is a powder made from finely ground green tea leaves. But a cup of matcha made with about 1 tsp of powder has ten times the antioxidants and benefits of one cup of regular green tea. And 1 tsp of the powder has the same amount of caffeine as a full cup of coffee. With a slightly sweet, umami flavor matcha will revolutionize your mornings for good.

Matcha Chia Seed Pudding

matcha

Photo by Elizabeth Furiga

This dairy free and vegan breakfast can be made the night before, making your mornings even easier. The matcha tastes surprisingly sweet in this recipe and you can cut the sweetener down to just one 1 tablespoon and it will still taste good. Top the pudding with some coconut butter and cut fruit in the morning and you’re ready to dig in.

Almond Matcha Smoothie

matcha

Photo by Elizabeth Furiga

Almond butter and matcha powder might seem like an odd combination, but once blended together the flavors play off each other so well. This breakfast smoothie is quick to make and one serving has more caffeine than a cup of coffee. You might never waste time brewing a cup of joe again.

Green Tea and Banana Oatmeal

matcha

Photo by Elizabeth Furiga

This recipe takes the most time at about 5-10 minutes, but it’s definitely worth it. The oatmeal doesn’t need any sugar as the banana adds a sweet fruity flavor of it’s own that goes great with the earthy flavor of the matcha. Top with some shredded coconut or fresh fruit and savor the bright green bowl of breakfast noms.

Matcha Yogurt

matcha

Photo by Elizabeth Furiga

Yogurt is a great breakfast, but flavored yogurt is pricy and full of sugar. Buy some plain greek yogurt and mix it with honey and matcha, and you can have flavored yogurt at a fraction of the price. The recipe calls for whisking the matcha into the yogurt, but I prefer to blend it with a hand blender or standard blender for a smoother distribution of the matcha. Top with sliced oranges, shredded coconut, or just eat it straight up, don’t worry we won’t judge you.