In the cultural arc of Johannesburg, you can find a wide variety of music, fashion, and food. Braamfontein, a central suburb that is home to artists and musicians, has become one of the main creative hubs.

Every Saturday, the Neighbourgoods Market is open, welcoming an abundance of flavour and diversity. Although you can find clothes and accessories, the main attraction of the market is definitely the food.

1. Spring Rolls and Samosas

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

From vegetarian to a variety of meat, the spring rolls and samosas are the perfect snack whilst continuing the hunt for food. However if you can’t make it to the market, making spring rolls yourself is an easy way to bring its wonders into your kitchen.

2. Fresh Oysters (and Champagne)

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

Oysters are not for everyone, but what if you add a little tequila? If that doesn’t tickle your fancy, drinking champagne is apparently good for your brain. Take a glass and some oysters and bring the market to a new level of class.

3. Cake

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

The endless amount of cake is not only beautiful to look at, but the exciting combinations of ingredients will force you to take at least four boxes home. Make your own lemon olive oil cake and add a bit of rosemary to make it a little more interesting.

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

4. Vegan Coconut Fried Rice

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

Although South Africa is a mostly a meat country, there are still many opportunities for vegans and vegetarians to splurge on food. Walking past the vegan coconut fried rice without grabbing yourself a plate is something that simply cannot be done.

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

5. Gourmet Sandwiches

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

Say goodbye to your grilled cheese sandwiches and hello to fresh bread with steak, chicken, pulled pork, or bacon-wrapped mozzarella.

6. Sushi and Rice Burgers

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

When your regular maki orders won’t do, explore some new flavours in the sushi corner of the market. Try the salmon in the rice bun, a sushi burger, or if you’re bored of the regular roll, check out these new ways to enjoy your sushi.

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

7. Biltong

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

Biltong and droewors are South African specialties. The dried, cured meat is eaten on a daily basis as a snack all over the country. Though it may look like it, biltong is not like beef jerky.

8. Smoothies

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo courtesy of neighbourgoodsmarket.co.za

Aside from food, the market also serves a variety of drinks. From artisanal coffee to craft beer, they have it all. The large range of smoothies is definitely to be recommended, especially with the country’s famous fresh produce.

9. Gourmet Hot Dogs

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Ditch the cheap hot dog carts and try one of these babies. Sausages wrapped in bacon and smothered in jalapeños and fun sauces.

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

10. Seafood Paella

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel

Prepared in three huge pans, the seafood paella quickly gathers an audience. Don’t have one of these in your kitchen? Don’t worry, there are many easier ways to prepare this Spanish dish.

When you’re done scavenging, sit outside on the terrace accompanied by friends, live music, and Mandela.

Johannesburg Neighbourgoods

Photo by Sarah Stapel