When I was invited to a party this past week, I wanted to make something that would look sophisticated but would really only require minimal effort. Hence, this galette. It’s basically just a pie without the pan, but it sounds and looks much fancier. I wanted to use seasonal vegetables in my galette, but really any combination of vegetables and cheese would work well for a savory tart.

Medium

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Servings: 6

1 single pie crust (store bought is fine)
1 small butternut squash (about one pound – I bought the precut kind, but you can cut it yourself)
2 cups Brussels sprouts, chopped (1/4th -1/2 inch)
Olive oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced in half-moons
1 teaspoon salt
4oz goat cheese, crumbled with fork

1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Peel squash, cut in half, and scoop out seeds.
3. Cut squash into cubes.
4. Toss pieces with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and ½ teaspoon of salt.

easy dinner

Photo by Katherine Surko

5. Roast squash for 30 minutes or until tender, tossing halfway through. Set aside to cool.
6. While squash is roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook onion on low heat with ½ teaspoon of salt.

easy dinner

Photo by Katherine Surko

7. Stir occasionally for about 15 minutes or until soft and lightly golden brown.
8. Stir in chopped Brussels sprouts.
Photo by Katherine Surko
9. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes or until sprouts are tender. Set aside.
10. After you take the squash out of the oven, raise the oven temperature to 400ºF.
11. Add the squash to the onion and Brussels mixture.

easy dinner

Photo by Katherine Surko

12. Flour a work surface and roll out the dough (about 12 inches).
13. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet.
14. Spread vegetable mixture on dough (but avoid the edges, just like if you were making a pizza).

easy dinner

Photo by Katherine Surko

15. Add goat cheese.

easy dinner

Photo by Katherine Surko

16. Fold the border/crust over the mixture.
17. Bake until golden brown, 30-40 minutes.
18. Remove from oven, and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
19. Cut your galette into wedges, and you’re ready to serve.

I love this recipe because it is so easy to make and modify with different vegetables, and any aesthetic mistakes just contribute to its “rustic” feel, and I for one can’t make a perfectly circular pie crust to save my life.