The colder months bring many exciting things, so don’t let the flu prevent you from enjoying winter and all its frosty fun. Even if you’re brave enough to get your flu shot, there are other (less painful) ways to protect yourself from sickness. Check out these recipes to boost your immune system so you don’t have to miss out on frolicking through snow-covered fields.

1. Citrus

flu

Photo by Julia Maguire

Citrus is loaded with vitamin C, a veteran in the war against sniffles. While we won’t judge you (in fact, we’ll probably applaud you) for just downing clementines straight from the carton, this super fruit salad will give you a major vitamin C boost, not to mention the fact that it’s loaded with other fruits that will help keep you healthy as well.

2. Greek yogurt

flu

Photo by Anna Loh

Greek yogurt is a great source of probiotics – good bacteria that can help keep your immune system working at its best. To get your daily dose of probiotics and hipster, try this mason jar yogurt parfait. We can’t promise it will help make your dream of moving to Brooklyn and opening your own artisanal ice cream shop come true, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

3. Green tea

flu

Photo by Jessica Payne

Green tea is full of antioxidants to help keep you healthy. The flavor has been described by haters as similar to that of lake water, but if you fall under this category don’t stock up on Kleenex just yet. Check out this article to learn about the benefits of other types of tea. After all, it would “tea” a real shame for you to miss out on this home-brewed goodness. Upgrade yo drank with honey and lemon, both of which have immune boosting properties as well. Bonus: studies show that green tea promotes a sense of general calm and feelings of well-being. Can I get an ohm for that?

4. Goji Berries

flu

Photo by Sydney Davis

Goji berries are packed with vitamin C, plus studies show that these babies can help boost your mood. While a positive mindset might not help you fight off the flu, who doesn’t want to be in their happy place more often? To get the added benefits of dark chocolate (because why the hell not?), try stocking your cabinet with chocolate covered goji berries to meet all your snacking needs. For more information on healthy snacks, take a look at this study snacks article. Rest assured they all taste just as good lounging on the couch as they do in the *cringe* library.

5. Almonds

flu

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Vitamin C gets a lot of the credit when it comes to fighting off illness, but vitamin E also lends crucial support to your immune system. To stay healthy the seasonal way, get your daily dose of vitamin E with these pumpkin spiced roasted almonds. Some may call you basic, but we’ll see who’s laughing when the bookstore is sold out of NyQuil.