…It’s usually for Quarter Beers (and then maybe B’Skis or Time Out). But hey, if you want to grab some grub before the bars, here’s my list of some delicious reasons to make the trek over to Franklin Street. Trust me, they’re worth it.

Kipos Greek Taverna

chapel hill

Photo by Keni Lin

There are two ways to enjoy the mouthwatering offerings at this place: (1) mezedes (Greek tapas) or (2) mezzes (Greek appetizers) and entrees. I definitely suggest you get a platter of spreads served with warm homemade pita bread (they have an in-house bakery!). You get to choose 4 of them; my favorites are the fava Santorini (fava-beans-based) and melitzanosalata (eggplant-based). The standout entrées are the Psarotaverna (whole grilled fish with spanish rice pilaf and vegetables) and the fisherman stew Kakavia, which I will definitely be pining for on cold winter nights. It’s like chicken noodle soup with some flair. Complementing the authenticity of the food is the decor. It makes you feel like you’re in a renovated old-school boat floating down the Mediterranean. It features all wood and whimsical lights in glass orbs tied up with twine. Oh, and the bartender told me that Friday nights at Kipos get pretty rowdy. I don’t know about you, but I’m down to check it out. Opa!

average

Location: 431 W Franklin St. Chapel Hill, NC 27516
Hours of Operation: 11am-2pm and 5-10pm Tuesday-Thursday, 10am-2pm Friday, 5pm-11pm Saturday, 10am-2pm and 5-9pm Sunday

Lantern

chapel hill

Photo courtesy of Lissa Gotwals

Craving take-out Chinese food but looking for something fancier (and less artery-clogging)? Celebrating a birthday, anniversary, or job offer (#hireme)? If so, Lantern is the spot for you. Creating classic Asian dishes with locally sourced NC ingredients – that’s their MO. As someone who grew up with delicious Chinese home-cooking, I’m pretty dubious of “Asian fusion,” but this place makes it work without being a try-hard. Don’t miss the crispy flounder with hot chili, turmeric, dill, fried shallots, roasted peanuts and heirloom carrot salad – fragrant, perfectly golden and falls apart in all the right ways. Still need to try: pretty cocktails and late night menu.

Expensive

Location: 423 West Franklin St. Chapel Hill, NC 27516
Hours of Operation: 5:30pm-2am Monday-Saturday

Mediterranean Deli

chapel hill

Photo by Keni Lin

This local favorite is always crowded and for good reason. Mediterranean Deli boasts an extensive and affordable menu that’s almost overwhelming, especially with all the vibrant options seductively laid out in glass counters. My favorites are the falafel eggplant pita and the lightly smoked baba ghannough pita sandwich (yes, I like eggplant and you should too). My meat-eating friends typically opt for the lamb and beef gyro pita or chicken shwerma – which always smell damn good. Don’t forget to top it all off with generous servings from the free toppings and olive bar. And they now have gluten-free pita bread! Three cheers for celiac-friendly!

cheap

Location: 410 W Franklin St. Chapel Hill, NC 27516
Hours of Operation: 11am-10pm Monday-Saturday, 11am-9pm Sunday

Vimala’s Curryblossom Cafe

chapel hill

Photo by Keni Lin

This place serves up casual Indian food with a story. Once upon a time…the restaurant’s chef Vimala started cooking donation-based community dinners in her home. Then, with the support of a loving community, Vimala’s was born – a place as adorable as its namesake. The rest is homey, perfectly spiced history. My go-to is the fragrant, indulgent samosa chole chaat: vegetable samosas over Delhi-style chickpeas garnished with red onion, cilantro, sweet yogurt and cilantro-mint. Honestly though, everything here is perfection. If you leave room for dessert (make sure you do), get the cardamom brownie – decadent but that not-so-little pinch of cardamom just works – or the ginger cake – generous with the ginger, finished with lemon cream cheese icing… drool. The restaurant stays true to its “everybody eats” mission, so when you visit the restaurant throw a little something into the Food for All fund to help it continue the legacy of community-supported dinners.

average

Hours of Operation: 11am-9pm Monday-Saturday