I stopped eating meat only 7 or 8 months ago. So far, it’s been great. But there are a few little things that continue to annoy me.

1. People think they have to make special accommodations just for me.

No, really, I can find something to eat at nearly any restaurant in town. Even barbecue places. Even the place you think doesn’t have options for me-I always figure it out.

vegetarian

Photo by Becky Hughes

2. Disappointing people when they ask if you’ll ever go vegan.

A surprising number of people have asked me about becoming vegan.  My answer: I think I’m doing a lot of good by not eating meat. It’s my way of “fixing” a lot of problems with America’s food system. I don’t think I need to become vegan to feel a part of that solution. That said, I never thought I’d ever give up meat so anything is possible in the future!

urkel

GIF courtesy of reactiongifs.com

3. I feel like I’m being pretentious.

When someone offers me a bite of their buffalo chicken pizza and I can’t help but feel pretentious saying “No thanks, I don’t eat meat.” Now I don’t bother telling people if they don’t know/have forgotten that I don’t eat meat. I politely just say “no thanks” and this issue is easily avoidable.

vegetarian

Photo by Libby Perold

4. No More Chicken Tenders

Chicken tenders (not even bacon) are actually the only meat I crave anymore.

vegetarian

Photo by Julie Mirliss

5. People try to convert me.

GIF courtesy of imgur.com

Friends tauntingly wave meat in front of me or suddenly tell me about the nutritional benefits of eating meat. It doesn’t exactly make me want to eat meat, it just makes me want to spit facts at them. Instead of sparking a debate, I just laugh it off and try not to take it to heart.

6. Some ice cream contains beef gelatin.

I never turn down ice cream. You see my problem? I haven’t figured out where to draw the line.

vegetarian

Photo by Gabby Phi

7. People assume I love tofu.

Cornell, your dining halls may be amazing, but your tofu SUCKS. I’ve actually never eaten good tofu. But I’m always open to giving it a shot.

vegetarian

Photo by Lauren Thiersch

It may sound like I’m going to shovel pounds of meat into my system at the end of this article, but I swear I’m not that unhappy about it all. I still wake up to the sound and smell of bacon so all is right in the world.